Monday, April 4, 2011

Kvelertak Interview


answered by Erland:

1. Can you update us on what is going on with the band these days?



Hey. Yes, we just released our album in the US and have just gotten back from a short (& sweet) tour over there. The next item on the agenda is going on a European tour with Comeback kid before playing shitloads of summer festivals.



2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album?



It's kind of hard to describe because there is so many different elements in the mix, like hardcore, punk, 70s rock and even some bits of black metal, so nowadays I just call it rock to keep it simple.



3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the new release explores?



So far the subjectmatter has been mostly old nordic mythology, devilworshipping and even some personal subjects. I basically just sing about things that interests me and I think sound badass. I might do something different for the next album, I haven't decided yet.



4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?



Kvelertak means chokehold in English. There's not much meaning behind it other than it sounding good and being short, straight to the point. I don't know who came up with it, Bjarte thinks it was him. I think it was me, hehe.



5. What are some of the best shows that the band has done so far and how would you describe your stage performance?



I think the shows we just did at SXSW in Austin were among the best shows we have done, especially the one we did at a place called Prague. They had cheap gin and tonic, and the stage was basically like a big junglegym with pipes to climb in the ceiling and so on, so that was perfect for me. The crowd was really into it.

To describe our stage performance, I'll just say that we're six sweaty guys who play every show as if it's the last one. At least that's what we aim to do.



6. Are there any plans for a U.S tour?



Yes, I think we're planning on coming back over in October for a eastcoast tour. Join our facebook to keep yourself posted.



7. On a worldwide level, how has your music been received by extreme metal fans?



Extremely well (pardon the pun)! Ofcourse you always have the tr00 elitist forum-nerds talking shit, but it seems a lot of different kinds of people including extreme metal fans are into the music, which we appreciate.

So far the album has been getting nothing but good reviews, so we've been pretty lucky in that aspect.



8. How wuld you describe your musical progress over the years and what direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?



We started out as a shitty punkrock basementband in 2006, so we spent about three years rehearsing, figuring out what the hell we were doing and finally getting a proper line-up together. So I'd say there's been a huge progress, concidering where we started to being the place we're in now.

As for what musical direction the music is going to take in the future, that's really a question for our guitarist Bjarte. He makes all the music, but I'm sure the future releases also will sound like Kvelertak.



9. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



Another question for Bjarte, hehe. I've said this probably a thousand times, but he has everything between Marvin Gaye to Gorgoroth in his car and is influenced by almost everything he listens to. To him good music is good music (regardless of genre), which I think is a good approach.

Personally I've been listening a lot to Djevel lately, a blackmetal-band that I'm in and just finished recording the debutalbum with. The album should be out in June, check it out on myspace if you're into old school norwegian black metal.

10. What role does Asataru or Satanism play in your music and how would you describe your views on these topics?



Like I said earlier, I basically sing about subjects that interests me and make for good lyrics. I'm not that heavily into the subjects in my personal life, other than it representing my nonbelief in christianity.



11. Outside of music, what are some of your interests?



My hobbies? Not that interesting really, I like chilling out with videogames, movies, reading and music. In the weekends I get drunk, hehe.



12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?



Check out our album, though it's not occult black metal, and thanks for the interview!



Erlend Hjelvik

https://www.facebook.com/Kvelertak/

No comments:

Post a Comment