Friday, June 17, 2011

Alastor Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
JA - Well, we just got our fourth album out which includes the unreleased first album. Besides that, nothing is going on. We already recorded most stuff of 4 songs and we're still not sure of what to do with that...

2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it differs from previous releases?
JA - I think that this album is more Thrash and less Black than the previous ones. That wasn't intentional, but it seems to have turned out that way. That I think, is the biggest difference. The sound is also a bit clearer on this one.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the new release explores?
JA - Well, for the first time, I had nothing to do with the lyrics, but it seems that GC managed to stick to the theme I've been using, with his own twist. Eradicate Christianity!

4. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
JA - Although I formed the band back in 1988, our first gig was in 2008. And besides that, we played 5 songs at the release party of the new album. So there isn't that much to talk about our live performances.

5. I have noticed with the new album you have lyrics written in both your native tongue and English, which is the style that you prefer to write in?
JA - Actually we only use portuguese on our albums now. The english lyrics are the songs from the debut unreleased album. That was the only album with english lyrics. I like to write in portuguese cause it sounds very different from english and the metric is also very different.

6. With the new release you have covered both Motley Crue's Red Hot and Black Sabbath's Children Of The Grave, what made you decide to do these cover tunes instead of the traditional German thrash or Celtic Frost cover tunes that most bands go far which i felt has been done a million times over?
JA - Again, we're talking about two albums. The cover of MC was done cause we're all MC fans and that song has been one of my fave for years. BS was done in 1996 and at that time I wanted to do this version of the original song, a faster version. We did the usual bands in the other two albums though.

7. Currently you are signed to War Productions, how did you get in contact with this label anfd how would you describe the support that they have given you so far?
JA - I've been in touch with them for some years, eventually we talked about ALASTOR and how I was looking for a new label... that was it. They like to keep it simple, just like me, it seems to be working ok.

8. Your music is more rooted in the first wave black metal area, what are your views on black metal from the early 90s to modern day?
JA - I don't give a fuck about the NWONBM (new wave of norwegian black metal)! VENOM is Black Metal!

9. Are you currently involved in other bands, or is this a full time project?
JA - My main band is DECAYED. ALASTOR is one of my projects, alongside HOTH, THUGNOR, NETHERMANCY...

10. On a worldwide level how has your music been received by black/thrash metal fans?
JA - People seem to like what we do. Not that many people though, there's a lot of talk about the revival of Thrash Metal, but to my ears, this new Thrash, sounds more like Hard Core than Metal... especially the "angry" vocals...

11. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
JA - I have no idea. Like I said, we're already working on 4 songs for a future release and these songs are pretty much in the vein of the album. Next year I hope to release a new album, so, then, and only then, will I know how the new album is going to sound.

12. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
JA - From Hard Rock to early Death Metal, everything has influenced me. VENOM being the biggest influence. I don't listen to that much new stuff since I honestly think that Metal started to decay in the late 80's. There are a few good releases, but... it's getting harder and harder to find anything interesting.

13. What role does Satranism or Occultism play in your music and how would you describe your views on these topics?
JA - I am not a Satanist, but I do think of me as a Ancient Pagan. These are not topics to me, these are ideals and to be spoken in private since humans are a bit dumb and usually tend the distort what one says.

14. Outside of music, what are some of your interests?
JA - Travelling, photo, drawing, reading, food, smoking, drinking, movies and talking.

15. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
JA - Thanx for the support, all the best and anyone interested in contacting me for some merchandise or info: chroan@sapo.pt

No comments:

Post a Comment