Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Pete Flesh Deathtrip Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
- Just released the fourth album - "Mortui Vivos Docent" - of this solo project. It´s only 2 weeks ago it got released here in Europe (I think the release date for the States etc. will be 23 July). Just trying to promote the album as much as possible with interviews, reviews, etc.

2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it differs from previous releases?
- I changed alot of stuff that would have a big inpact on the final result towards my other releases. First I change the studio from The Abyss to studio Beast with Peter Bjärgö (Crypt of Kerberos, Tyrant, Arcana, The Blact etc) as the producer. Then I change studio drummer from Flingan to Andreas Jonsson (Vinterland, Tyrant etc). Also Micke Broberg from Unanimated does guest vocals on half of the album and also contributed with some lyrics. All this maked of course a big difference. My goal was to do an album that both would be creative satisfing for me and something I diden´t have done before with this project. One other thing was also, now when I only do THE PETE FLESH DEATHTRIP (have done albums with DECEIVER, MAZE OF TORMENT and THROWN) I put all my ideas into one major thing. I don´t keep to one genre or anything like that. The important thing for me is the atmosphere, not if it´s a Death, Black, Thrash or Heavy Metal....or anything else.

3 What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the new release?
- I would say they reflects on anything that cross my mind or eyes that feels important to me. Innerself stuff that I need to explore or get rid of. Reflections from a distance.

4. The band use to be known as Flesh, what was the decision behind the name change?
- For me it´s still the same solo project, and I use the old FLESH logo in the sleeve of the new album. The main reason is that I will go deeper and more personal with this project and don´t use ideas to anything else from now on. For example, if I did a good Black Sabbath sounding riff before, I saved it for THROWN, but now I can use everything here, as long as the atmosphere fits with everything else that I want to express with the lyrics or just a sudden vibe.

5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
- I have not played live yet with T.P.F.D.T. Many are the reasons. But I´m trying to find the right people for it so it could happen some day. I have got some offers from both festivals and single shows bookers.

6. Do you have any touring or show plans for the new release?
- Above.

7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to the new music by fans of underground metal?
- The album have not been out that long yet to get an over-all view. Or maybe it could. One bad review so far of maybe 15. Done more interviews than I ever have in this short period of time. Also more people in general writes me and are interested in this album than before. I´m used to atleast release one album a year, this time I have not released anything in 4-5 years. All my focus have been into doing this album, so it feels great of course that people seems to like it and understand it.

8. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
- Really hard to say. I have started working on some ideas. I don´t think it will be any drastic changes, just trying to keep it interesting, dark and with inputs that maybe not the listner would expect. Also there will be other guest vocals. Not that I´m unhappy with Micke, he does a brilliant job!!!!! But the whole idea for me is not to release the same album. If it gets better or worse in someone else taste, that´s not the point. There must be an creative challenge for me and something that I put my soul into, even if no one else sees the end result.

9. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
- From the Death, Black, Thrash scene that I listen most to. POSSESSED, DEATH, BATHORY, MAYHEM, DISSECTION, SLAYER, MERCILESS, SADUS, AUTOPSY, DESTROYER 666, TORMENTOR, ROTTING CHRIST, NIFELHEIM, SODOM...and some more. I´m an old dude. Otherwise I´m sure alot of BLACK SABBATH, 70´s ALICE COOPER, FATE/KING, DEAD CAN DANCE, PINK FLOYD, MAIDEN etc. have effected my song writing as well. I listen most to the bands I mention. Not that I´m narror minded, I still trying to catch up with todays band, and there are some good stuff. But not that maybe effects my song writing.

10. Does Satanism or Occultism play any role in the music?
- Yes, of course. I read books, and there are books about those subjects, so I read ´em. Like other religions or belifs as well.....I like to read books or see films/documentaries about subjects that are able to form and shape the evolution or destruction of man. Or simply to get in the head of someone that really burns for something, even if I not understand it from the beginning. But I always want to find new views on things, and that´s my way doing it.

11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
- I have a hard time finding things that not in the end can be connected to my music. But I have a regular job, a son that are really into music as well, so we go to shows now and then, but we of course does alot of different stuff as well, like sports, fishing etc. Of course I enjoy that. Hm, I guess you could say that I´m a boring dude.

12. Any final  words or thoughts before we wrap  up this interview?
- Thanx for the support, really appreciated! Anyone are welcome to contact me with questions regarding the album: facebook/peteflesh

No comments:

Post a Comment