Sunday, January 25, 2015

Scythe Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Begotten in 2012, the birth of Scythe was inevitable as a result of accumulated experiences, knowledge, thoughts... When I try to recall crucial moments, decisions, I feel no able to set a birthdate for this project, I feel something like if it was born 20 years before, with me.

2.So far you have released a demo, split and have recorded a full length, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on all of the recordings and also how do they do from each other?

Right... In 2013, the first evidence of existence for Scythe became palpable, physical; a self-released demotape entitled Dysanaesthesia, an improvised piece of raw, chaotic, doom/death metal. Weird, surreal. Recorded between 2012 and 2013, Dysanaesthesia was the first time to me for incorporating keyboards in a record. Later, that year, The Sphere of Quantum came to being, and then, Declínio's track Purgatory Nebulosa. Foremost, what they share in common is experimentalism. They are born from an experimental nature. As I said, Dysanaesthesia was the first time to me to incorporate keys, also, The Sphere of Quantum emerged as an experiment for guitar and noises and Purgatory Nebulosa unifies elements of each record and tame them but incorporating new ways of record and work. I think that the listener could find something behind the music, but in the music itself, that it is recurrent in each recording. Besides, they don't share lyrical themes but any of the lyrics is strictly related to the other through self-awareness and death, surreal experiences where “physics encounters consciousness”.

3/What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?

As I said, lyrical themes are not the same in each recording but they have something in common. My lyrics are only lucubrations, metaphysics and surreal experiences that I build in my head, which I think that I could have ever experienced them, experiences that emanate from “clustered” sensations, ineffable feelings, in my brain, in my subconsciuos, experiences which I contrast with the measurable, sensations that I check with reality through words. After-death experiences, during-death experiences, hallucinations, sleep's magick, dreams, spiritual connections, eschatology, consciousness, existence as a scheduled structure of quantum wastes from past existence, spirit as a perennial, ageless, quantum phenomenon in opposite to the physical body, quantum wastes structured by ADN, deciduous, transient, fleeting.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Scythe'?

Scythe is doom, Scythe is fate. Scythe is the unavoidable gnarl that tighten up your neck until brokes. Endless razors that cut you into nothing. The hands that throttle you until asphyxia. The hands that enjoy your death rattle with quasi-sexual sadism.

5.Are there any plans in the future to do this into a live band or is this strictly a studio project?

No, this will never be a live band.

6.Recently you where part of a split with 'Neurastenia', what are your thoughts on the other band that have participated on the recording?

Neurastenia was, from the first time, the perfect band to complete this work. The perfect band to fulfill the aim of this split. The man behind is a real devotee.

7.The split was released on 'The Lament Congregation', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

The Lament Congregation is a new u/g tape label and mailorder from A Coruña commanded by M.S. with no experience before on releasing or distributing stuff. With this tasty hidden smell to Hellraiser in the name (The Lament Configuration), everything he tries to do is conceptual, and this is good but, at the same time, hard to reach. Reliable and honourable, everything on the congregation is guided by passion and done selflessly.

8.Your full length is going to be released on Tertius Oculus Perceptio, what can we expect one it is released?

Expect nothing but total chaos. My sumum on experimentalism. Three long tracks that combine noise and silence as a whisper that pierces your eardrum.

9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal, doom and ambient?

It has been a little time since Scythe was an opened project to the public so, the feedback is minimum but not poor (quantity vs. quality). Attention is not my purpose, Scythe relates the right circles.

10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

For Scythe, now I am recording a new EP and a new long song for a split, I have also recorded a single that I don't know if it will ever see the light and I am playing in a new band, called EXCURSE, besides another projects and bands.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I think that most of my influences are evident: Abruptum, Furze, Nortt, Beherit or Akerbletz... And others, not so evident: Paul Chain, Portal, In Slaughter Natives, Cathedral... Nowadays I listen to a vast field of music styles, I listen to a lot of thrash and black metal, classic and progressive rock, avant-garde and experimental metal, industrial, ambient, noise, a lot of drone, neo-folk, jazz, some punk, classical music, contemporary classical, academic music, field recording...today I have been listening to: Diamanda Galás, Blut aus Nord new album, Luigi Russolo, G. Ligeti and at this moment, while answering this interview: Like Drone Razors Through Flesh Sphere self-titled album and 2014 Emanation album.

12.How would you describe your views on Occultism?

This could be a very extensive paragraph so I will try to be synthetic. Yet, I'm not such au fait with Occultism as I am with magick. Magick can be involuntary, irrational, unconsciuos, you can be doing magick without knowing that word, you can fulfill your will through magick unintendedly; writing, art, music... words can be magick and a conversation, gimmicks, but you don't need to be acquainted to any of these words, I think that this is beautiful; raw magick, alchemy, psychology; I practice magick everyday, I have been practising magick for years without knowing what it is, without knowing that I was doing it. But Occultism is the study and the follow of the occult, the hidden power, also, you can follow it your own way, you can make your own methods and have your own beliefs, you can study it your own way but you need awareness of what you are doing, put the word you prefer for it but you have to understand the concept. The esoteric field is vast (and interdisciplinary), because infinite are the hidden powers, and also, exogenous subjects like quantum physics have a little place in.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Light will burn us all.

https://gh-records.com/home/833-neurastenia-scythe-declinio.html

No comments:

Post a Comment